Sunday, October 20, 2013

Mixing business with pleasure: an example of the Metal element, particularly for those in Australia

I was watching an Australian cricketer talking on TV, and wondered, as I always do, what element I thought he was.  Suddenly I realised that his eyes reminded me of somebody.  “Who was it?”, I thought, and gradually pinned it down to the eyes of that famous English actor, Laurence Olivier, who I had always thought of as definitely being Metal, particularly because of his voice.  So was this cricketer Metal, too?  Luckily the interview was quite a long one and I had plenty of time to watch and listen to him carefully.  And yes, I decided to diagnose him as Metal, a preliminary diagnosis, of course, which was only my first hypothesis, but one that I felt as happy with as I could be after only 10 minutes listening to him and watching his interaction with his interviewer.

His eyes were definitely sad, and had that far-away, serious look I associate with Metal.  And the way he talked, too, was familiar to me as pointing me towards some of the Metal people I know.  He spoke carefully, as if he had been working through things very systematically, and he was keen to answer the interviewer’s questions in as clear and straightforward a way as possible.  There was no attempt to try to engage the interviewer in any kind of relationship, as Fire or Earth might have done.  At the end of the interview I was left with a feeling of having been in the presence of somebody very self-contained.  All of this pointed to the Metal element, I thought.

Of course you will have to be somebody as keen on cricket as those in India or Australia to track down any interviews with this particular cricketer, but for those who want to have a good example of Metal to add to their library of Metal characteristics look for anything about the Australian cricketer, Ryan Harris, that you can find.  And, whilst you are doing that, if you want a good comparison with the Fire element, you can do no better than watching the Australian cricket captain, Michael Clarke, who is an excellent example of a contrasting approach to being interviewed.

I have always enjoyed watching sport since I was a little girl and we were taken by our father to see many of the events in the 1948 Olympic Games.  Now I can enjoy this from an additional angle, not only from the point of view of the sport itself, but adding to it a bit of spice by trying to work out the athletes’ elements.  This makes my TV watching both an enjoyable and an instructive exercise.  As the saying goes, it is a good way of mixing business with pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment